Sunday, July 5, 2009

Blepharospasm aka Eyelid Twitch


My left eyelid's been acting strangely over the past few days kaya I decided to ask kuya#3, my mom and kuya#1 about it since they are all doctors. After all the sermons I got, they all ended up to two things: stress and almost 24 hours stay in front of the computer.




They are right. I'm juggling so many balls that are all up in the air at the same time - work, school (I'm a student again), parenting, grown-up activities, more work, and some more work. I'm not complaining since I actually wanted this - a more productive(?) and occupied life. And how my brothers and my mom came up with stress and almost 24 hours stay in front of the computer.




At first, I thought, simple eye irritation lang pero habang tumatagal ako sa computer bumibilis din ang twitch nya at nakaka irita nya cya. Kaya I decided to investigate what's happening to me aside from asking my siblings and my mom. I found this:




A blepharospasm (from Greek: blepharo, eyelid, and spasm, an uncontrolled muscle contraction), is any abnormal tic or twitch of the eyelid.




It normally refers to benign essential blepharospasm, a focal dystonia—a neurological movement disorder involving involuntary and sustained muscle contractions of the muscles around the eyes. Benign means the condition is not life threatening. Essential indicates that the cause is unknown, but fatigue, stress, or an irritant are possible contributing factors. Symptoms sometimes last for a few days then disappear without treatment, but in most cases the twitching is chronic and persistent, causing lifelong challenges. The symptoms are often severe enough to result in functional blindness. The person's eyelids feel like they are clamping shut and will not open without great effort. Patients have normal eyes, but for periods of time are effectively blind due to their inability to open their eyelids.




You can read more here. Thanks Wikepedia.




I followed the tips from my siblings and mom. Bumili ako ng eyemo at nag hot towel eye massage ako. Guilty ako sa lack of sleep kaya maaga na ako natutulog ngayon except last Friday (partey!). I try to rest more and relax myself more. I'm a good boy you know.




Napapansin ko lang. nag tu twitch lang yung mata when I'm in front of the computer or near it. I didn't touch the computer yesterday and I let Cairo do all the surfing and gaming. Nag tu twitch cya ng konti dahil malapit ako sa computer so I ask Cairo to do his computer stuffs somewhere else.




I also have to be atleast 1 mile away from the TV and away from the sun. I'll be going to the doctor later to have my eyes check. Okay, I know, I'm in front of the computer again right now. Valid reasons naman - work and blog.hehe. Less than two hours lang to promise!




Be safe guys! Wag gumaya saken

No comments: